SDMHA is committed to excellence and sets high standards of character and conduct for all of its members, participants, officials, and fans. The "Fair Play Code" for (a) Players, (b) Coaches, (c) Officials, and (d) Parents is outlined below. Should you wish to discuss any of these rules and/or the conduct of an individual, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com or the Division Manager for the team with which your child is associated.
FAIR PLAY CODE FOR PLAYERS
1. I will play hockey because I want to, not just because others or coaches want me to.
2. I will play by the rules of hockey, and in the spirit of the game.
3. I will control my temper - fighting and mouthing off can spoil the activity for everybody.
4. I will respect my opponents.
5. I will do my best to be a true team player.
6. I will remember that winning isn't everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
7. I will acknowledge all good plays/performances - those of my team and of my opponents.
8. I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
FAIR PLAY CODE FOR COACHES
1. I will be reasonable when scheduling game and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
2. I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
3. I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support and playing time.
4. I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
5. I will make sure that equipment and facilitates are safe and match the players' ages and abilities.
6. I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
7. I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
8. I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.
FAIR CODE PLAY FOR OFFICIALS
1. I will make certain that every player has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his or her ability, within the limits of the rules.
2. I will avoid or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
3. I will maintain a healthy atmosphere and environment for competition.
4. I will not permit the intimidation of any player either by word or by action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct toward other officials, players, spectators, or myself.
5. I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my personal feelings toward a team or individual player.
6. I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity.
7. I accept my role as a teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants.
8. I will be open to discussion and contact with the players before and after the game.
9. I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
10. I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
11. I will work in cooperation with coaches for the benefit of the game.
FAIR PLAY CODE FOR PARENTS
1. I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
2. I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
3. I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
4. I will teach my child that doing one's best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
5. I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and hard.
6. I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
7. I will remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good plays and performances by both my child's team and their opponents.
8. I will never question the official's judgment or honesty in public. I recognize officials are being developed in the same manner as players.
9. I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children's hockey games.
10. I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to hockey for my child.
11. I will not condone the athletic use of alcohol, drugs or banned performance-enhancing substances.
12. I will observe the rules of the BCAHA such as the Zero Tolerance to alcohol and banned substances.